Good morning, kids. Thursday and the Capitol police want you to know they’re outraged — outraged! — that shrill, unfunny, bespectacled geek/public hector Stephen Colbert’s band of “pranksters” who trespassed in the halls of Congress, looking for GOP politicians to harass (or worse) got let off the hook.
The statement is addressed to Rep. Rodney Davis and Rep. Jim Jordon who had asked about the incident with the Colbert employees. It’s a bit hard to read, but here’s the gist:
The Colbert employees, despite being warned about their conduct, were wandering unaccompanied through the Capitol making a ruckus and attempting to harass conservative members of Congress. While it was true that congressional staffers had initially allowed them in, the staffers had then abandoned them to roam about. It also turned out that Colbert’s employees had learned in advance that they were not allowed to roam through the building.
In other words, just like most of the January 6 defendants, the Colbert employees had been invited into the Capitol. But then, unlike those January 6 defendants who wandered, awe-struck and peaceable, through Congress, believing they had the right to be there, Colbert’s employees tried to make trouble, knowing that doing so was forbidden.
The final words of the Capitol Police’s letter, over the signature of J. Thomas Manger, the Chief of Police, are worth nothing:
It is unfortunate that despite all of the evidence the Department presented, including that the group or its leader had been told several times that they could not be in the buildings without an escort, that the U.S. Attorney’s office declined to prosecute any members of the group of Unlawful Entry.
This letter confirms what conservatives have long suspected: What we are seeing played out in the Biden [junta] is an openly ideologically corrupt judicial system. This cannot end well.
Actually, I’m kind of shocked that the Capitol Police even responded like this at all given the fact that they are directly controlled by none other than Malig-Nancy Pelosi herself. Given the insanely politicized nature of law enforcement these days, whoever on the force penned that letter (I can’t find the names of the authors) has some mighty big brass balls. But that said, considering that Ashli Babbitt and Roseanne Boyland were assassinated in cold blood by law enforcement and/or their confederates, the former shot and killed by Capitol Police lieutenant Michael Byrd, the letter is galling in the extreme, regardless of its truthfulness.
Where were the Capitol Police when Michael Byrd assassinated an unarmed woman, and where was their outrage at the justice system that declared his act of cold-blooded political murder was not only unpunished but actually hailed as an act of heroism? Sadly, as commenters here have reminded me, even people like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul hailed the actions of law enforcement on January 6th when, in the cold clear light of day, it was law enforcement in and around the Capitol that aided and abetted in the sham FBI entrapment sting that has been used ever since to prosecute and persecute innocent American citizens all the way up to and including President Trump himself.
Sorry, but I’m not buying your outrage. It’s 18 months too late. The country is going up in flames, or rather being set on fire by your employers and all you seem to care about is keeping your pension secure. And spare me the “Blue Lives Matter” bullshit, since your behavior during the General Tso’s Sickness lockdowns showed us all that you’ll follow orders no matter how outrageous.
If you are among those still perplexed by the failure of the police in Uvalde, Tex., to respond decisively to the May 24 shooting at Robb Elementary School, recent news from Chicago may help you understand how it may have happened.
On Saturday afternoon, Chicago police received a Shotspotter alert that ten gunshots had been detected at 615 South California Avenue, on the city’s West Side. An officer monitoring the Shotspotter system accessed a camera in the area and saw that the shooters had exited a white Dodge Charger with a black hood. The three men returned to the car and drove off. The first officer to arrive at the scene found a man dead from gunshot wounds.
A further description of the Charger was broadcast to officers, including its license number. The car was reported stolen, and hours earlier it had been involved in a shooting in which no one was injured.
Eight minutes after the initial report of the shooting on California, patrol officers in the nearby Lawndale neighborhood spotted the Charger and tried to pull it over. The Charger sped off with the officers in pursuit. When the Charger sped west into the neighboring town of Cicero, a Chicago P.D. sergeant instructed the officers to terminate the pursuit. As of this writing, the murder suspects have not been arrested.
Chicago is more than a thousand miles from Uvalde, but it is no less affected by the type of sclerotic, risk-averse management philosophy that allowed hundreds of cops to stand by outside that unlocked classroom door while children and teachers bled to death inside. . .
. . . I’ve been writing about this trend toward timidity in police work for years (most recently here), and the trend seems to have accelerated since George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis two years ago. Police officers seeking to advance within their departments know the next promotion can be scuttled by even a whiff of controversy, so they conduct themselves so as to avoid any incident where things might go wrong. This strategy is successful for many, and as I look over the current roster of Los Angeles Police Department command staff, I see several who I knew as patrol officers or newly appointed sergeants. Some of them had a pattern of being the last to arrive at a hot call (if they arrived at all), and I note that one of them is now the commanding officer of the same division where, while assigned there as a new sergeant years ago, she wouldn’t have left the station if it was on fire.
Jack Dunphy is an excellent writer and analyst of law enforcement, coming as he does from a multi-decade career as an LAPD cop. What he leaves out of his essay is the origin of the timidity in policing. That is the up-ending of law enforcement and the justice system by radical Marxists who claim the entirety of it is merely an instrument of white supremacy. The fact that a non-white might commit a crime in the first place is trivial. Worse, it’s justified in their warped view of the world.
But there is something far more sinister. Letting criminals run wild in the streets is an act of orchestrated political terrorism, meant to up end society itself. Psaki-Psircling back, the degradation of policing itself, whereby no one in their right mind would want to actually become a cop (see also military recruiting) means only the least qualified individuals will be available to join the ranks. And as friend of the blog Kurt Schlichter notes, that is a very dangerous thing.
As my just released non-fiction book We’ll Be Back: The Fall and Rise of America points out, a crucial nutrient for the growth of social/political conflict is the corruption of the justice system. A two-track system cannot endure; justice cannot be just for them. If people are not getting their end of the social contract, they will rightfully treat it as breached. And then things will get ugly.
It is beyond dispute that the left has moved from leveraging private power (via their corporate allies) to control us to using armed thugs to do it. Right now, they do it behind the veneer of the justice system, but as we have seen, that play has a SELL BY date. So what happens next? History provides a clear answer for that question – more and more armed force is used against opponents, with less and less attention paid to maintaining the pretense of a fair and neutral judicial system. From Stalin through Hitler through Mao through Castro, socialists always – always – end up sending men with guns to suppress the uppity. Don’t think Biden or his heirs won’t if that’s the price of keeping power. They are already setting the stage – you are not a mere opponent if you liked Trump. Why, you are a treasonous insurrectionist traitor! They hate you, and they don’t hide it. . .
. . . Now, we know there is also a contingent of law enforcement and the military that gets off on the exercise of power. They became cops or soldiers because they like to push people around. They can be counted on to support whoever lets them do that. These are the ones who got off hassling mommies for letting their kids run around the park unmasked.
Then there is the pension platoon, the time-servers who do what they have to do to get their money. They tell themselves they are doing it for the good of the country, their family, or whatever, but they are doing it for the money. They are loathsome. They are the ones who were slightly embarrassed to hassle mommies for letting their kids run around the park unmasked, but they did it anyway.
The rest? Aren’t there some potential enforcers who won’t play along? Yes, but they sadly refuse to just quit in protest – where are all the “good apples?” They either don’t join in the first place – military and cop recruiting is hitting rock bottom – or they quietly move on to a police agency that is not fully woke or to another career field entirely. These tend to be the true public servants, the good ones, who won’t serve if they are serving the powerful instead of the public. So, about the time the ruling caste is ready to go full fascist, you will have some forces willing to do the thuggery, if not entirely eagerly, but they are not the best or the brightest. Nor are they the bravest. . .
. . . If 30 local cops who knew the families of the kids being slaughtered refused to put their asses on the line to take on one untrained civilian half-wit, what’s going to happen when they are told to go get a few million citizens with ARs (and other modern weapons), many of them with military and law enforcement training, who are ideologically committed to defending their Constitution and all the rights actually found within it?
Think the thugs might hesitate? . . .
. . . What if there are millions of anybody elses?
And what if those anybody elses are not inept dirtbags?
In that scenario, who exactly is going first through the door? The political police chiefs? The bullies? The guys who just want to do their 20 years, file a fake disability claim for their lumbago, and spend the next few decades fishing for bass?
Col. Schlichter has an optimistic take on how when we eventually do “get our hair mussed” we will come out on top. But yet again, the shattering of the illusions about integrity, honesty, ethics and morality with people and institutions you once admired is a tough nut to swallow. Human nature is human nature, even in the place formerly known as America. Ironically, it was the framers of our now defunct Constitution who wrote that article trying as hard as they can to craft a document based on trying to mitigate it. Alas, it was as they stated suited only to a moral and God-fearing people. We aren’t that. Not anymore.
The same German police officers before 1933 who helped little children cross Alexanderplatz safely were, just nine years later, shooting them into mass graves on the Eastern Front, with nary a word of objection.
Think that that cannot happen here? Think again. As I commented to the Colonel at Frontpage Mag:
The ruling caste better figure out who is going to be the sucker who puts his butt on the line for their dreams of a prog-fascist tomorrow because there are millions of patriots who would gladly put their butts on the line to resist serfdom.
What will be the last straw, sir? Stolen elections? The imprisonment of citizenry as political prisoners? Show trials? Confiscation of property/livelihood on the pretext of a health emergency?
Oh wait. We’ve had all that already. What needs to happen needed to happen like two years ago. That said, complete economic collapse might be the spark. The junta thinks it can Cloward Piven us to socialist paradise but it might just bite them in the ass big time. Sadly, we are going to have to suffer untold pain before we come out the other side on top. If we come out on top.
- Kurt Schlichter: “Meet the personal Stasi of the Democrats.” (see the related Jack Dunphy essay in the Crime section – jjs)
Who Will They Get to Do the Tyrants’ Dirty Work?
- Victor Davis Hanson: “Since when has changing an inept messenger ever changed a disastrous message?”
The Left Should Be Happy with Biden
- “Pursuing the oldest questionable assumptions of the ‘new world order.'”
Our Foreign Policy of Stale Orthodoxy
CIVIL WAR 2.0: J-6 FBI FALSE FLAG “RIOT” & AFTERMATH, LEFTIST PERSECUTIONS, DEMOCRAT PUTSCH, AMERICAN DISSOLUTION
- “Perhaps they’ve finally had enough of looking like weaklings and fools.” (where was their outrage when Ashli Babbitt and Roseanne Boyland were assassinated by their brothers in law enforcement? – jjs) The Capitol Police Rebel Against the DOJ’s Failure to Prosecute the “Colbert Nine”
- “Stalin would be proud of Democrats’ calls to ‘unchain’ the [so-called quote-unquote “president”].” Democrats Are Now Begging Biden to Act Like a Dictator
- “Across the country, many sheriffs are working actively to ensure that their citizens are protected from federal overreach.” Constitutional Sanctuaries
- “Only the lives of black criminals matter to Black Lives Matter.” Black Lives Matter: Black Supremacists
DEMOCRAT-LEFT WAR ON FOSSIL FUELS
- Biden’s gaggle of energy and climate advisors all converge to push ‘acceleration’ of green ‘transition’ Biden Transport Secretary AGAIN Says “PAIN” of High Gas Prices is a Benefit
RED-GREENS, CLIMATE CHANGE HOAX, JUNK SCIENCE, LYSENKOISM
- Madness. Kirby: Climate Change Is a National Security Issue That Impacts Military Readiness, Infrastructure
- “Nevertheless, he’s still putting his ducks in a row to do so at some future date.” Biden Stops Short of Declaring a Climate “Emergency”
- “He’s going to make it clear that just because Congress couldn’t get it done, he is going to move forward with every power available to him to make the change and the shift to clean energy because it’s important.” (you know who else did things unilaterally – jjs) Biden Climate Adviser McCarthy: “The [so-called quote-unquote “president”] Will Move, and He Will Move Fast” on Climate “Emergency”
- “But the reality set- the reality may set in in Europe and we may see the downside … do you think we’re going to be able to change the climate?” Kernen interjected. CNBC Host Presses Buttigieg On Green Energy Agenda As Europe Struggles
- “Most Americans don’t realize how reliant on China the Biden plan is.” Biden’s Green Energy Future Relies Too Much On China’s Solar Boondoggle
- “Though it’s a critical part of any strategy to reduce carbon emissions, mining tends to meet with opposition from environmentalists.” Progressives Against Mining
- “The global warming edifice is beginning to crack.” Saving the Planet, or Themselves?
THE ECONOMY, STUPID
- “An even larger share—77 percent—say they expect the economy to enter into a recession by the end of this year. Sixty-one percent of these middle-income Americans say they expect the economy to be worse off a year from now. Just 14 percent say they expect it to be better.” 75% of Middle Class Americans Say Their Income Is Falling Behind Cost of Living
- “Government spending may have enabled rising inflation, but Fed policy has played the most critical role.” A Monetary Problem with a Monetary Solution
- “That’s the point.” Rep. Nadler Admits Bill Will Confiscate Guns In “Common Use”
AMNESTY, IMMIGRATION, BORDER SECURITY
- The GOPe must be destroyed. Republicans Negotiate with Democrats on Illegal Alien Farmworker Amnesty
- “Adams blamed AZ, TX, and the feds. But AZ and TX governors said they’re sending illegal immigrants only to D.C.” NYC Mayor Adams Wants Feds to Help Pay for Overflow of Illegal Immigrants in the City
- “This collateral damage exposes the utter dishonesty of the claim that illegal immigration is a ‘victimless crime.’” Uvalde and the Collateral Damage of Loose Borders
CRIME & PUNISHMENT, NON-DOSTOYEVSKY
- Lloyd Billingsley: “Fires 16 members of pro-crime predecessor’s staff.” (color me skeptical as this is Frisco, after all – jjs) New San Francisco DA Cleans House
- Jack Dunphy: “Police officers seeking to advance within their departments know the next promotion can be scuttled by even a whiff of controversy, so they conduct themselves so as to avoid any incident where things might go wrong.” The Price of Timidity in Police Work
- Tell me again how the criminal justice system is constructed as a tool of white supremacy . . . Alleged Attacker Released From Prison Two Days Earlier Viciously Beats Elderly Disabled Man at Washington Transit Center; Man Later Dies In Hospital
- “After controversial vote, state legislators Brittany Pettersen and Yadira Caraveo are running for Congress.” These Colorado Dems Voted To Reduce the State’s Felony Murder Penalty Amid Homicide Spike
FIRST AMENDMENT ISSUES, CENSORSHIP, FAKE NEWS, MEDIA, BIG BROTHER TECH
- “The Media Research Center (MRC), which defines secondhand censorship as ‘the number of times that users on social media had information kept from them,’ found that Big Tech has engaged in direct censorship of individuals and organizations at least 4,000 times. Other users, however, were blocked from seeing these posts or videos at least 144,301,713 times in the first quarter of 2022 alone. That’s more than 36,000 times the instances of direct suppression.” Shocking New Study Shows Big Tech Censorship Is A Way Bigger Problem Than You Thought
- “The media willfully refused to entertain the possibility and suppressed dissent.” The ‘Massive Conspiracy’ Hiding Biden’s Mental Decline
- David Harsanyi: “The evidence shows that an armed citizen is more likely to stop a mass shooting than any of the policies being advocated by Democrats.” New York TimesInadvertently Makes The Case For More Concealed Carry
- “The mandarin-wannabes all agree. For the sake of the planet, all but the wealthy need to give up their attachment to eating meat and switch to ‘alternative proteins.'” PBS Joins the Campaign to Get You to Eat Bugs
LOCKDOWN 2: MONKEY POX MONKEY BUSINESS BOOGALOO???
- “While all health officials and gay activists will insist that everyone is at risk, they know full well that this is a gay-driven disease.” In Denial Over Gay-Driven Monkeypox
- “We are already stretched to capacity.” Expert: U.S. Doesn’t Have What It Needs to Fight Monkeypox
AMERICA, AND THE WORLD, IMPRISONED: CHINESE CORONAVIRUS FICTIONS AND FACTS
- “Is America due a constitutional convention?” (oh I hope not! – jjs) Post Pandemic, a Strong Majority of Americans Favor a Constitutional Amendment That Further Limits Federal Gov’t Spending and Control
EDUCATION, AND WHAT PASSES FOR IT
- Christopher Rufo: “Los Angeles Unified School District adopts radical ‘trans-affirming’ programming and instructs teachers to work toward ‘the breakdown of the gender binary.’”Sexual Liberation in Public Schools
- “His comments about education schools were a clear-eyed revelation of the cronyism and professional incest that has emerged between university graduate programs and university bureaucracies.” Hillsdale’s Larry Arnn is Over the Target
- “I am not surprised at all that you would not want to show this photo of an in-utero surgery in which the child being operated on grasps the finger of the doctor doing the surgery. That picture was taken in 1999. And—” (Gavel Slams) The ‘Handshake’ Photo Taken Down at a Congressional Hearing
SHAMPEACHMENT 1.0, 2016 CLINTON/OBAMA COUP, CONGRESSIONAL PERSECUTION, SPYGATE, DEEP STATE, MUELLER DECEPTION
- “‘There are now a fair number of documentations’ showing that Stefan Halper ‘may have made clear misstatements to the FBI,’ the court said.” Margot Cleveland: Judge In Stefan Halper Case Drops SpyGate Bombshell — Halper Likely Lied to the FBI on Purpose
OFFICIAL DEMOCRAT PARTY/LEFTIST-ENDORSED ANTI-SEMITISM, ANTI-CHRISTIANITY
- Former Ohio State Treasurer Josh Mandel: “Tim Ryan’s Democrat Party is the home for anyone who hates Israel and despises the Jewish people’s right to self-defense and peace.”Ohio Democrats Criticize J.D. Vance For Visiting America’s Ally Israel
BIDEN CRIME FAMILY REVELATIONS
- This or the cancer “diagnosis” takes out Sponge-Brain Shits-Pants. If it’s this, Hunter skates or gets a slap on the wrist and a Club Fed stay-cation. ‘Critical Stage’: Feds Consider Charging Hunter Biden With Multiple Crimes, Including Gun-Related Crime
DEMOCRAT/LEFTIST AND RINO SCANDALS, MESHUGAS, CHUTZPOCRISY
- “2016 redux: Democrats meddling in GOP primaries, spending millions to nominate ‘crazy’ candidates who ‘can’t win.'” The ‘Pro-Democracy’ Party Keeps Backing Election-Denying Extremists in Key Races
- “Sen. Mark Kelly (D., Ariz.) says he wants to stop lawmakers from exploiting their office for personal gain. But his investment in an aerospace company awarded a lucrative Pentagon contract is the kind of conflict of interest he’s claimed to oppose.” Mark Kelly Says Lawmakers Shouldn’t Use Their Offices for Profit. He May Have Done Just That.
- “A bill that provides more than $50 billion in subsidies for domestic semiconductor production is set to hit the House floor roughly a month after Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D., Calif.) husband purchased up to $5 million in a company that could benefit from the legislation.” Wolf of Washington: Malig-Nancy Pelosi Is Poised To Score Big From Semiconductor Bill
- “Is it time to move on from Trump? Or is DeSantis in need of more seasoning?” Trump or DeSantis: Who Is the Man for the Times?
- “That’s why I and so many damn other people I grew up with have cancer and why for the longest time, Delaware had the highest cancer rate in the nation,” Biden said. Biden Says He Has Cancer In Apparent Slip-Up
- “Biden’s overall approval sunk to a new record low, 31%, with 60% disapproval.” Most Americans, Even a Majority of Democrats, Don’t Want Biden to Run in 2024: Poll
- “Hispanics were the least likely demographic to approve of Biden, the poll of 1,523 Americans found. Among Hispanic respondents, 19% approved of Biden’s handling of the economy, 23% approved of his foreign policy, 45% approved of his coronavirus response and 22% approved of his handling of gun violence.” Biden’s Approval Rating Among Hispanics Scrapes the Bottom of the Barrel
- “One of the great political re-matches of all time.” Former Clinton Advisor Says Hillary is Preparing to Run Again in 2024
- “What has become a proxy war between Trump and several elements of the old donor class and seen skirmishes in other states like Georgia and Nebraska in gubernatorial primaries this year has now burst out into the wide open just two weeks ahead of the all-important August 2 election.” Proxy War: Establishment Tries to Take on Trump Again, This Time in Arizona
THE UKRAINIAN “FRONT”
- “It’s like something out of The Terminal List. Except true. And more mutant-y.” Russia’s Excuse for Losing: Ukraine’s Mutant Bio-Lab Supersoldiers
- “The Washington establishment would rather cast aspersions on those asking questions about corruption in Ukraine than recognize the problem.” As Questions Mount About Corruption In Ukraine, The Neocon Narrative Is Unraveling
FOREIGN AFFAIRS, INTERNATIONAL
- “England, Spain, Italy, and other countries have hit over 100 degrees with little to no rain and strong winds.” Wildfires Engulf Europe During Record Heatwave
- “The Netherlands erupts.” Watson Video: Revolt Against the Liberal World Order
- “All four remaining candidates after the first rounds of winnowing said they would at least impose a moratorium on new ‘green levies’ to subsidize more renewable energy. All seemed to recognize that the public does not support the extreme greenery Johnson suicidally embraced, and indeed a recent poll of Tory voters by the Times of London found that only 4 percent thought “climate change” should be one of the top three priorities for the next government.” Net-Zero and the Fall of Boris Johnson *UPDATED
- “Four nations send a communist regime a message.” China’s World Aggression Meets Blowback
- “Holding back creative pursuit.” Putin Blasts “Globalist” World Order as “Totalitarian”
- “Many of these so-called NGOs, lavishly funded by the U.S. and European governments, are themselves front organizations for terrorist groups.” NGO Monitor Releases Database Exposing The Use of Palestinian Children by Terrorist Organizations
DEFENSE, MILITARY, SECURITY AFFAIRS
- “Why isn’t anyone stopping this?” RECEIPTS: Bill Gates’s Foundation Just Paid for the Chinese Communist Party to Recruit Foreign Scientists
- “The Pentagon’s insistence on social justice over meritocracy, lowering of standards and ‘anti-recruiting messages’ pushes away potential recruits.” US Army Abandons Recruitment Goals, But Not Its Woke Policies
- “Major honor codes scandals at the Air Force Academy have often involved members of the football team, where group loyalty supersedes respect for the code.” Football and the Honor Code Collide at the Air Force Academy
- “Anyone who touches the Prophet, no punishment — just kill!” Raymond Ibrahim: Death for ‘Blasphemers’ in Pakistan
DOMESTIC AFFAIRS, THE COURTS, WASTE/FRAUD/ABUSE
- “The court currently holds a 6-3 conservative-leaning majority. The makeup of the court changed under the Trump administration.” House Dems Call for Additional SCOTUS Seats, Vote on Same Sex Marriage, Contraceptives
- “Imagine instead of the usual aggravation, you get to the scanner and are cussed at by the TSA agent and then told you need to strip right there in public. Um, what?!” TSA: One Traveler’s Mortifying Experience at LAX Will Hopefully Lead to Improvements for All
ACTUAL SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY
- “Unfortunately, a micrometeoroid hit the telescope and possibly caused “significant uncorrectable” damage.” James Webb Telescope Discovers the Oldest Galaxy We’ve Ever Seen
- “Scientists have long speculated about the possibility of extraterrestrial life, and aliens have captured the public imagination to become a mainstay of popular culture and science fiction. Earth is, as of now, the only known home of life in the universe.” Advanced NASA Telescope Could Discover Alien Life
- It’s the size of Jupiter and resembles embryonic Keir Dullea . . . Astronomers Discover Heartbeat-Like Radio Burst Billions Of Light-Years Away
FEMINAZISM, TRANSGENDER PSYCHOSIS, HOMOSEXUALIZATION, WAR ON MASCULINITY/NORMALCY
- “Where are the women in men’s prisons?” The Only Dude in Chick Prison
- “America’s abandonment of faith gave rise to a new Woke religion. The Trans Movement is central to that new faith.” The Trans Movement and the Woke Soul
CULTURE WARS, NATIONAL SUICIDE
- “We know there are some who will not agree with this decision.” Theater Caves, Cancels Dave Chappelle Hours Before Show
HITHER & YON
- “Policy tweaks failed us yesterday, and they won’t save us today either.” Womp Wonk
- “People need to really wake up and understand that Americans have become quite lazy, and we are taking things for granted. We have to fight for our freedom. It’s not it free. It comes at a cost.” Those are the words of Mary (Flynn) O’Neill, the Executive Director of America’s Future, a 501 (c)3 that has been resuscitated after a 20-year period of dormancy by her and her brother, General Michael Flynn. America’s Future Channels a Distinguished Past to Reshape the Present
- Daniel Greenfield: “A book review of The Revivalist Manifesto: How Patriots Can Win the Next American Era.” Seizing the Future
NOTE: The opinions expressed in the links may or may not reflect my own. I include them because of their relevance to the discussion of a particular issue.