Good morning kids. Happy President’s Day, which is a total joke considering it completely subsumes George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and throws them in with the likes of James Buchanan, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, LBJ and the jug-eared dog-eater. Sponge-Brain Shits-Pants is an asterisk. Then again, America today is an asterisk in the wake of the events of 2020. And if you consider that the asterisk resembles a certain anatomical aperture. IIRC it’s called the buttigieg. But I digress.
The top story continues to be the toxic waste disaster that is threatening to turn southeastern Ohio and perhaps beyond into a sort of chemical Chernobyl. As bad as the initial derailment and spill of thousands of gallons of vinyl chloride, somehow the geniuses on the ground who are charged with mitigating the contamination and cleaning up the mess decided to open the valves on the tank cars that had only been derailed and were still sealed . . . and then toss a match to it.
I’ll be the first to admit to not being Red Adair, and that being a model railroad hobbyist who also got a B in high school chemistry does not make me an expert in this kind of situation. But, as CBD and I incredulously pondered on the latest episode of the podcast (linked here and in the sidebar) how could those tasked with mitigating the problem and cleaning up the spill intentionallyturn a serious but perhaps containable/controllable accident into a massive environmental and health disaster that will no doubt turn East Palestine and the surrounding region into a toxic wasteland perhaps for years if not decades to come?
I am a retired engineer having significant experience with pressure vessels and some background with DoT tank regulations. I offer my thoughts based on limited knowledge and a little thinking.
From what I could learn, the contents of the tank(s) were becoming unstable and pressure was increasing. It was feared that the tank would explode and send shrapnel everywhere. So the decision was made to relieve the pressure with a “controlled burn.” This story raises many questions that must be answered.
The first question is, what was causing the pressure to build? Physically there is no difference between a tank sitting on its wheels on a track and a tank lying on its side on the ground. There is nothing about a tank lying on the ground that would cause pressure to build. Was there a fire around the rail cars? I’ve seen nothing indicating that this was the case, nor is it likely there was a wild land fire in the middle of winter in Ohio. How did they know pressure was building? Were they monitoring a pressure gauge on the tank? If so, they were close enough to put out any fire that might be threatening the tank. Furthermore, transport tanks are equipped with a pressure relief valve that would not allow pressure to build enough to burst them. Note: if the contents of a transport tank are so hazardous that they are unsafe to vent via a relief valve, additional requirements are imposed on tank strength and integrity during accidents.
Because rollovers and derailments are expected, hazardous transport tanks are designed to survive them. They are also designed with rollover protection so that fill connections are protected to remain accessible and functional in the case of these accidents. This would have allowed responders to connect to and empty the tanks into alternates such as over-the-road tanks and then hauled away. Why was this approach rejected?
Finally, these tanks are made of ductile material, typically mild carbon steel. They do not eject shrapnel whey they burst. Rather, they split apart with all material remaining contiguously attached. The tank itself might become airborne, but it would not break up into pieces. Why was the governor of Ohio told the tank would produce shrapnel? Even if the shrapnel scenario were true, how would that be more hazardous than releasing tons of hazardous acid and toxic fumes?
As I had stated on Friday, the railroads, like virtually every other aspect of life in general is now regulated out the wah-zoo. There are 74,532 pages of regulations in the Federal Register, all enacted by unelected bureaucrats yet carry the force of civil and criminal penalties. You can bet your balls to a barn door that railroads and how they handle cargo, especially toxic cargo, comprise more than just a handful of those pages. Not just railroads but as the author notes, the construction of the tank cars down to every last nut, bolt, washer and cotter pin.
Perhaps the prime indisputable, inescapable and immutable law of nature is this: SHIT HAPPENS. We get into trouble when we think we have the ability to prevent things from happening just because we pass laws or issue regulations. That is the fatal conceit of Leftists, in that they believe beyond all doubt despite 10,000-plus years of recorded history to the contrary, that they can regulate life to the point of guaranteeing our personal safety. All we have to do in return is give up our freedom. And therein lies another rub in that those who assume that the Left does this merely for altruistic reasons also have not paid attention to what has transpired over that aforementioned time period. Hell, just the past 100 years alone is enough evidence. But I digress.
The author of this essay rightly points out that there are so many safety features designed into these tank cars, which have been transporting and continue to transport millions upon millions of gallons of some of the most toxic substances you can imagine across thousands of miles of railroad track for decades, that even a nasty spill like this should not have gone from a serious incident into a disaster of historic proportions. Something is afoot here. If it’s some sort of criminal sabotage that caused the train to jump the track that’s bad enough. Equally bad is poor maintenance of the trackage and/or the trucks (wheels) of the cars that derailed. By the way, the evil greedy railroads are required by laws and regulations to inspect and replace wheels and other elements of the rolling stock on a regular basis. And the evil greedy railroads are mostly owned by Democrat-Leftist financial institutions like Blackrock and Vanguard.
So whatever caused the derailment, malfeasance or criminal sabotage/terrorism should, of course, be thoroughly investigated. That said, if it turns out to be the latter, I fully expect a coverup by the DOJ/FBI should it be either the E.L.F. or Isis. Meh, they’re probably trying to tie this to some pro-Trump MAGA people as we speak (do I sound jaded?).
But the issue here is the reaction to this. Given all we know about the nature of these tank cars and their general record of safety over the course of decades, whatever accidents and spills that may have occurred in that time frame notwithstanding, how could those charged with mitigating the problem have thought it wise to empty thousands of gallons of safely contained chemicals and then put a match to the whole thing?
There are only two possible reasons I can think of: rank incompetence or intentional criminal malice. That said, more often than not, they go together (like ramma-lamma-lamma). As was noted, East Palestine and its environs voted overwhelmingly for Trump in the past two elections. Is it crazy to believe that someone in the government ordered the people on the ground to do this and that those on the ground without hesitation just followed orders unquestioningly? The chain of command that stretches from D.C. to Columbus and to East Palestine must include dozens or hundreds of people. Surely at least one of them said that torching the tank cars was madness? This entire episode paints a truly frightening picture of human nature, the level of competency of those charged with our safety, on the ground and behind a desk, and worse, pure evil if doing this was an act of political retribution.
If you think that that stinks, I direct your attention to the skies above Montana:
The administration immediately claimed the balloon was a Chinese Spy Balloon, and yet when asked the obvious question — why was it not shot down — the administration responded that the debris could harm civilians on the ground.
The same administration just sat idly by as deadly vinyl chloride was recently lit on fire in Palestine, Ohio — spewing poisonous gases into the air. That harm to nearby residents seems to be of little concern to the Biden administration.
But when it came to an alleged Chinese spy balloon soaring above a state with the third lowest population density, the administration was very concerned with debris harming…just who and what exactly? . .
. . . One explanation for the Biden administration’s sudden policy change — from ‘it is a threat, but we can’t shoot it down’, to ‘it likely ,i>isn’t a threat so we must shoot it down’ — is that it’s a pathetic effort by the Administration to virtue signal its sudden concern for our national security and counteract criticism of incompetence and weakness.
While possible, it fails to explain why the administration was so reluctant to shoot down the Chinese Spy Balloon.
One theory for this is that the Biden administration is bought and paid for by the communist Chinese. While it’s true that Biden and other officials are certainly compromised by the Chinese, what if the balloon had nothing to do with China? What if the ‘Chinese Spy Balloon’ was actually a U.S. Spy Balloon? What if the administration’s insistence that it was Chinese was actually a convenient narrative to hide an even more alarming secret? . . .
. . . Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union, expressed concern that “Even in tests, they’re still collecting a lot of data on Americans: who’s driving to the union house, the church, the mosque, the Alzheimer’s clinic. “We should not go down the road of allowing this to be used in the United States, and it’s disturbing to hear that these tests are being carried out, by the military no less.”
While this technology may not be exclusive to the United States, the description of the balloon — both in size and capability — matches that described recently soaring over Montana. Notably, the balloons are subject to fewer restrictions and regulations than drones.
Furthermore, private companies like ‘World View’ are dedicated to advancing this very technology. World View purports to be “a global leader in stratospheric exploration and flight.” . . .
. . . The FCC filing also suggested that the balloons might also carry a Sierra Nevada video capture system called Gorgon Stare; a wide-area surveillance system comprised of nine cameras capable of recording panoramic images across an entire city simultaneously.
Despite Biden’s worrisome ties to China, it makes more sense that the administration was reluctant to shoot the balloon down because it was part of a U.S. DARPA program — a U.S. balloon — rather than a Chinese spy balloon.
The question isn’t what is China doing with these balloons, but what is the U.S. government doing with these balloons and what are they being used for.
Coincidentally, just weeks before the supposed Chinese Spy Balloon was seen hovering over Billings, Montana, the stratospheric exploration leader World View announced a merger agreement to create a public company with the Leo Holdings Corp — a deal valued at $350 million dollars.
It’s no secret that the U.S. Government has invested heavily in these spy balloons and the administration has repeatedly sought to normalize their existence; even claiming that the Biden administration had learned that such balloons had been detected during the Trump administration, unbeknownst to Trump and his own officials.
ADDENDUM: The Chi-Coms are indeed screaming bloody murder about us shooting down their balloon and demanding we return the wreckage. That said, did the Chi-Com balloon overflight accidentally reveal the existence of our own spy balloons that are surveilling the American citizenry? That sounds rather plausible to me.
They’re from the government and they’re here to help you. By the way, I saw Gorgon Stare open for Kraftwerk at the Sportspalast in ’33 . . .
ABOVE THE FOLD, BREAKING, NOTEWORTHY
- Jay Stanley, a senior policy analyst at the American Civil Liberties Union, expressed concern that “Even in tests, they’re still collecting a lot of data on Americans: who’s driving to the union house, the church, the mosque, the Alzheimer’s clinic. “We should not go down the road of allowing this to be used in the United States, and it’s disturbing to hear that these tests are being carried out, by the military no less.” Could the ‘Chinese Spy Balloon’ Have Been a US Spy Balloon?
- “Abortion-rights activists were already launching attacks on pregnancy resource centers online.” Pro-Lifers in the Crosshairs
- Lloyd Billingsley: “Slain DHS whistleblower declared a criminal and remains under investigation by Customs and Border Protection for ‘contraband’ and possible U.S. Code violations.” FBI Deepens the Mystery of Philip Haney
OHIO DERAILMENT, TOXIC CHEMICAL DISASTER
- Clarice Feldman: “. . . it is a supreme irony that substantial shareholders in the railway involved, Norfolk Southern, include two of the biggest promoters of ESG investing: BlackRock and Vanguard.” ESG investors and the East Palestine Disaster
- “Why were standard procedures not followed?” Why Was the East Palestine Tank Car Blown Up?
- [Michael] Barasch spearheaded the efforts to reach hundreds of thousands of uninformed 9/11 victims still owed benefits after having suffered from harmful consequences of toxic exposure to post-9/11 World Trade Center dust, noting that “9/11 didn’t end on 9/11” as many individuals continue to suffer as a result of their exposure to harmful toxins. Top 9/11 Lawyer Says EPA Claim Ohio Air ‘Safe’ Sent ‘Shivers Up My Spine’ – ‘Stay Away, Don’t Believe EPA’
- “The two utilities, Greater Cincinnati Water Works (GCWW) and Northern Kentucky Water District (NKWD), said they are taking precautions as testing found at least low levels of chemicals from the toxic spill in some places at intakes along the waterway amid reports of fish dying en masse in local waterways and East Palestine residents reporting ailments such as headaches and rashes.” Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky Shut Down Water Intakes After Train Derailment
- “The official response to the East Palestine disaster has downplayed the seriousness of impacts on the environment and on the residents of the community.” Who’s Doing What in East Palestine?
- Subpar racialist diversity hire says it’s safe, so drink up, rubes! EPA Administrator Michael Regan: ‘The Drinking Water Is Safe for Those Homes That Have Been Tested’ and Deemed ‘Safe’
- “Too bad about all of you ‘on the ground’ with the wife, kids, and mortgage. Not looking good for aid and comfort from the all-caring federal government you’re paying for, is it?”East Palestine, Meet Love Canal
- ‘Who would have thought the mediocre mayor of Indiana’s fourth-largest city would not be a good choice to run the Department of Transportation?’ TRAIN WRECK: All the Transportation Scandals on Pete Buttigieg’s Watch
FIRST AMENDMENT ISSUES, CENSORSHIP, FAKE NEWS, MEDIA, BIG BROTHER TECH
- “Sen. Hawley would undercut parental discretion regarding social media.” The MATURE Act Is Bad Policy for the GOP
- “Transgender ideologues want absolute, unquestioning silence from anyone inclined to disagree.” The Gray Lady Isn’t Man Enough
- As one wit on Twitter responded via DM when we remarked on Senator [Angus] King’s actions: “the fucking balls on these people!!” Taibbi: US Senator Wanted ZeroHedge Banned From Twitter
- As a result of Biden’s open-border policies, illegal immigration has skyrocketed along the U.S.-Mexico border over the past two years of his [spurious] presidency. After Propping Up Biden’s Staged Border Visit, NPR Frames McCarthy’s Trip as a ‘Photo Op’
- “In the anti-Israel sweepstakes, a new contestant enters the lists.” Why is the Journalist Who Lionized a Palestinian Terrorist Still Working For Reuters?
CIVIL WAR 2.0: J-6 FBI FALSE FLAG “RIOT” & AFTERMATH, LEFTIST PERSECUTIONS, DEMOCRAT PUTSCH, AMERICAN DISSOLUTION
- “Biden restructured the entire executive branch of the U.S. government to discriminate on the basis of immutable characteristics.” Tucker Rips Biden’s New “Racial Equity” EO: Everyone Qualifies As ‘Protected’ Except Straight White Men
- Victor Davis Hanson: “Somehow Biden has transferred his own checkered history of racial disparagement onto the white working class.” The Toxic Racialist Obsessions of Joe Biden
- “When the goal is to obliterate national loyalties, all the madness makes perfect sense.”Nationalism Is the Antidote to One-World Government
- “His fatal torture was a tragic culmination—not of racism, but of the racism-in-policing narrative.” What Killed Tyre Nichols
- “White Supremacy Didn’t Kill Tyre Nichols. The Left’s Obsession With Diversity Did.”Diversity Terror
BIDEN BEIJING BALLOON-ACY
- Taiwan is legitimate and free China, and the CCP has no right to take over the country. Unfortunately, Taiwan might well be quickly abandoned by America if and when the CCP attacks because the U.S. State Department says, “The United States has a longstanding one China policy… We oppose any unilateral changes to the status quo from either side; we do not support Taiwan independence” (emphasis added). And we know the Biden [junta] can definitely be trusted to stick up for freedom against tyrannical regimes. China Demands U.S. Abandon Taiwan and Apologize for Shooting Down Spy Balloon
RED-GREENS, CLIMATE CHANGE HOAX, DEMOCRAT-LEFT WAR ON FOSSIL FUELS, JUNK SCIENCE, LYSENKOISM
- “High-ranking Treasury Department officials met with and received emails on their personal accounts from members of a climate finance organization chaired by Democrat donor Michael Bloomberg, according to documents reviewed by the Daily Caller News Foundation.”Biden Junta Officials Worked Closely With Climate Group Chaired By Massive Dem Donor, Emails Show
- “Like the most intolerant zealots of the past, they believe they have the only truth and will override forcibly all who contradict them.” The Left Is Willing to Bankrupt America for Climate Change
- “Just a lot of expensive bureaucratic nonsense which will leave the country generally, and resource workers specifically, much worse off. In other words, par for the course for the Trudeau government.” Trudeau’s ‘Just Transition’ is All Hot Air
- Brian C. Joondeph, M.D.: “Lupus, headaches, cancer, is there nothing the left won’t blame on climate change?” When Stuff Happens – Blame it on Climate Change!
- “The climate hoax is unveiled for all to see.” Video: The Mass Extinction Fraud
- “Immortalized cells are a staple of medical research, but they are, technically speaking, precancerous and can be, in some cases, fully cancerous…” ‘We Could Eat Malignant Chicken Tumors by the Bucket Load’ – Lab Grown Meat’s Impending CANCER Problem
THE ECONOMY, STUPID
- The [so-called quote-unquote “president”] has dug the nation so deep into a deficit hole that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to climb out.” The CBO Exposes Biden’s $5.45 Trillion Lie
- “This level of spending, and debt, is coming to an end. Either we exhibit the fiscal discipline to reduce spending, or the world will force it on us.” The Bright Line Between Inflation and Spending
- ” The hysteria about the debt ceiling is fake. But nothing this stupid can go on forever.” Oh, No! Republicans Won’t Raise the Debt Ceiling!
- “Paul-Nobel-Prize-Winning-Krugman spins a yarn that is diametrically opposed to reality.”Krugman’s Accounting of the National Debt is Criminal
AMNESTY, IMMIGRATION, BORDER SECURITY
- “Biden’s seemingly wanting to expand foreign competition against Americans in blue-collar industries comes as analysis shows his administration is growing employment by funneling millions of foreign workers into U.S. jobs while millions of Americans, particularly working-class men, are left on the labor market sidelines.” Report: Joe Biden Weighs Expanding Foreign Competition Against Working Class Americans
CRIME & PUNISHMENT, NON-DOSTOYEVSKY
- Robert Spencer: “Sowing chaos on our streets in the name of redressing ‘racial inequities.’”Nazi Collaborator Soros DA Dismissed Michigan State Shooter’s Prior Felony Gun Charge
- “Democrat Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro said Thursday he would not sign any execution warrants during his term and called for the State Assembly to abolish the death penalty.”Meet the Convicted Killers Pennsylvania’s Dem Gov Wants to Save From Death Row
- “O’Connell, 69, of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, was shot dead in his home in the suburb of Hacienda Heights.” Catholic Bishop’s Death Being Handled As ‘Murder Investigation,’ Los Angeles Officials Say
- “The streets of Los Angeles are already in chaos. It will only get worse if the cops are made even more fearful of doing their job.” Why Would Anyone Want to Be a Cop in Los Angeles Today?
- Thad McCotter: “Our fentanyl pandemic is a crisis of our own making.” If Destruction Be Our Lot
AMERICA AND THE WORLD IMPRISONED: CHINESE CORONAVIRUS FICTIONS AND FACTS
- So the masks, the lockdowns, the persecution of the unvaccinated and upending of society for 3 years and counting was all for nothing? Who knew? Lancet Study: Natural Immunity as Protective as Chinese COVID Vaccine, ‘If Not Higher’
- “Masks make no difference in reducing the spread of [Chinese] Covid, according to an extensive new review by Cochrane—the gold standard for evaluating health interventions.”Approximately Zero
- “The last few years could have been so different, if only we allowed the Torah to guide us.”The Torah Warned Us
EDUCATION, AND WHAT PASSES FOR IT
- “A year ago, San Francisco voters recalled three school board members over concerns that the district had moved in a radical, far-left direction.” Ukrainian Refugee Girl Finds San Francisco Schools So Violent She Wants to Go Back
- Roger Kimball: “The entire apparatus can be restaffed and employed to help dismantle all the bogus, intellectually vacuous programs, departments, and initiatives whose sole purpose is to foster permanent grievance.” A Modest Proposal for Transforming the Universities
- “We need to do something about Richard.” Today’s blacklisted American: Professor sues University of Texas for threatening his job because he criticized it publicly
- “Advocates of a new education system change their tune.” From Reform to Freedom
- “Beginning in March 2020, many bad decisions were made that will impact untold numbers of young people for the rest of their lives.” The Chinese Covid Lockdown Disaster: Three Years Later
THE 2020 AND 2022ELECTION HEISTS & AFTERMATH
- Good. North Dakota Republicans Are One Step Closer To Banning Ranked-Choice Voting In State Elections
- “After declining to hear Brunson v. Adams, SCOTUS decides to reconsider.” (does America then get a Mulligan for the past two years? – jjs) SCOTUS Will Reconsider the Brunson Case
OFFICIAL DEMOCRAT PARTY/LEFTIST-ENDORSED ANTI-SEMITISM, ANTI-CHRISTIANITY
- “In it slavish devotion to woke Democrats the FBI is now echoing the Ku Klux Klan’s views of Roman Catholics.” Your FBI in War, Peace, and Religion — Shutting Down the Tunnel to Rome
DEMOCRAT/LEFTIST AND RINO SCANDALS, MESHUGAS, CHUTZPOCRISY
- Furthermore, many of the certificate recipients have at one point or another financially contributed to [Judy] Chu’s political campaigns, finance records reveal. Dem Rep Handed Out Congressional Awards To Members Of Alleged Chinese Influence Operations
- “Biden’s ability to think and reason is GONE!” (except when he sniffs tweeners and stacks of cash – jjs) Former White House Doctor: Biden’s Medical Was a “Cover Up”
- “89-year-old announced, and promptly forgot, that she will retire in 2024.” Retirement Retrospective: Career Highlights Dianne Feinstein Almost Certainly Can’t Remember
- Apparently Biden’s going to run on a message that the economy is getting stronger. I think that speaks to the disconnect between the analysis of party elites versus the struggle of everyday Americans.” Marianne Williamson Reportedly Considering 2024 Primary Challenge to Joe Biden
- “Ron DeSantis the Destroyer will visit the Windy City on Monday to address the city’s largest — and very powerful — police union. The Destroyer will come to blow up the mayor’s race. And he’s already succeeded beyond anyone’s wildest dreams.” ‘DeSantis the Destroyer’ Blows Up Chicago’s Mayoral Race
- David Harsanyi: “So much for fresh ideas.” It’s a Shame Nikki Haley Has to Rely on ‘Stale’ Gimmicks
- Clarice Feldman: “Can the pencil-neck vote outweigh the DEI Left on behalf of Adam Schiff [for-brains]?” Eating Their Own in the Golden State
- “The rationale for such a move is that the leftist residents of northwest Oregon — Portland, Salem, Eugene — control the politics of the state, and therefore rural, conservative residents in eastern and southern Oregon are effectively silenced on matters of state governance.” Idaho House Approves Talks To Annex Oregon Counties
THE UKRAINIAN “FRONT”
- “We do not accept the U.S.’s finger-pointing or even coercion targeting China-Russia relations,” Beijing’s foreign ministry quoted Wang Yi as having told Blinken at their meeting in Germany. Blinken Tells China Not to Send Weapons For Russia’s Ukraine War; Beijing Rejects US ‘Finger-Pointing’
- “War is big (and complicated) business, but historical context may have already set the stage to sabotage the pro-war schemes of the powers that be.” Forever Wars
FOREIGN AFFAIRS, INTERNATIONAL
- France24 TV: “Other missiles overnight hit a warehouse used by pro-regime Iranian and Hezbollah fighters near Damascus.” Report: Israeli Airstrike Hits Iranian Military and Hezbollah Terror Base in Syria
- One of Sun Tzu’s fundamental principles is that “the greatest victory is that which requires no battle.” Thus, while western generals often seek to bring about a single decisive battle, adherents of Sun Tzu, like the CCP, seek to achieve such a dominant strategic position that battle itself becomes unnecessary, as the outcome is already decided. Sun Tzu’s Art of War is Key to Understanding the Conflict With China
- “She displays a foreign policy hubris that would have made the Founding Fathers blush.”Samantha Power is a Dangerous Ideologue (aka cvnt – jjs)
- “Meloni, who brands herself as a staunch conservative, currently boasts a 53% approval and a net popularity of +11 rating among Italians, making her the world’s sixth most popular leader, well above Joe Biden at 41%. Despite low expectations for her when she took office, many experts say she has governed in a strong and effective manner. ” Italian PM Giorgia Meloni Among World’s Most Popular Leaders
- Interestingly, Rouleau also blames the truckers for bringing down the tyrannical arm of government because of “misinformation,” that boogeyman that means ‘anything liberals disagree with.’ Trudeau Gets a Pass for Authoritarian Abuse of Freedom Truckers
- “New Zealand’s Jacinda Ardern and Scotland’s Nicola Sturgeon preferred pandemic-era politics-by-decree to the inconvenience of persuading voters.” Two Woke Authoritarians Make Their Exit
- “In the last few weeks, Sturgeon’s errors were thundering down the track towards her. Wisely, she stepped aside into the shadows—the first political leader to lose power because she argued that rapists can be women and that shortages cause prices to fall.” Too Woke for Her Own Good
- “Formerly dangerous books have now been made available to the Russian people.” How Do Russians Read 1984?
DEFENSE, MILITARY, SECURITY AFFAIRS
- Using taxpayer money to pay military women to travel to another state to get an abortion they couldn’t get in the state in which they serve is a dubious use of tax dollars and may even be illegal. You’ll Never Believe What the Navy Is Doing to ‘Improve Retention’ of Personnel
- Daniel Greenfield: “And that tells us why Al Qaeda really fell apart.” Al Qaeda’s New Leader is an Iranian Puppet
ACTUAL SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY
- “American private enterprise now leads China 13 to 5 in the national rankings, and the entire world combined 13 to 9. By itself SpaceX leads the world combined 12 to 9.” SpaceX Launches an Inmarsat Communications Satellite
- “By finding meteorites this quickly after arrival scientists get a more pristine sample, since the asteroid has not been exposed to the Earth’s environment for any extended length of time.” For only 7th time, searchers find meteorite immediately after fall
- “Meanwhile, US Dept. of Interior offers workshops aim to help federal employees cope with ‘eco-grief’ to deal with all the environmental doom-casting.” Cheetahs Being Reintroduced to India, Thanks to South Africa and Conservation
FEMINAZISM, TRANSGENDER PSYCHOSIS, HOMOSEXUALIZATION, WAR ON MASCULINITY/NORMALCY
- “Lucrative business.” The Child Sex Change Industry is Exploding in the US
CULTURE WARS, NATIONAL SUICIDE
- “Gee, you’d almost get the idea that the Leftist culture warriors who control Prevent, Britain as a whole, and the U.S. as well, want to destroy the civilization of which those works and writers are a hallmark. And you’d be right.” UK Counter-Terrorism Program Flags Shakespeare and ‘1984’ for ‘Encouraging Far-Right Sympathies’
- Christian Toto: “Second awards show skewers Top Gun: Maverick superstar – will Oscars be next?” Is Hollywood Gunning for Tom Cruise?
- “We cannot stand idly by watching our nation, and what it represents, collapse from within through the destruction of our history and heritage.” The Perils of Historical Ignorance
- “The changes were made by the publisher, Puffin, and the Roald Dahl Story Company, now owned by Netflix, with sensitivity readers hired to scrutinise the text.” Major Publisher Rewrites Classic Children’s Books To Appease Leftist “Sensitivity”
- “Making literature safe for a triggered generation.” Rewriting Roald Dahl
- Robert Spencer: “The moral of the story: read your old books. Breathe in their world. And save them. Don’t count on being able to get reliable new editions. It may even become necessary to hide these books, as this savagery washes over us.” The Rewriting of Roald Dahl Is a 1619 Project on Literature
- “Instead of paying lip service to the founding, conservatives would do well to focus on the American citizen—the problems he is having here and now. ” Why BAP (Not National Review) Appeals to the Young Right
- “Conservatives should not allow the concept of equity to be undermined by ideologues.”Equity as a Conservative Principle
- “The hypocrisy of false prophets.” The Comedy of ‘Liberals’ Hating Liberal ‘Jesus’ Ads
HITHER & YON
- “The stand-up legend and Groove Tube actor played Det. John Munch on Homicide: Life on the Street, Law & Order: SVU and eight other shows.” (his last words allegedly were “fuck you mother-f-er” – jjs Richard Belzer, Extraordinarily Smart-Ass as a Comic and a TV Cop, Dies at 78
NOTE: The opinions expressed in the links may or may not reflect my own. I include them because of their relevance to the discussion of a particular issue.
I am a chemical engineer with 30+ years experience. There are a few things to consider about the rail-car leak that are not well-reported and/or well understood. I used to work with ethylene oxide and there have been a number of rail car explosions of cars just sitting on the tracks; typically it involves a small amount of contaminant (oxygen or water) present. I remember seeing photos of one of the explosions and the rail-car was split open and became completely flat. They also found one of the wheels about a mile away. So these explosions can create “shrapnel”.
Another consideration is a vapor cloud explosion. If the vinyl chloride monomer (VCM) car was leaking, a vapor cloud could form and if that vapor cloud finds an ignition source, that leads to an explosion, where the flame front is super-sonic. These detonations can do a lot more damage than a deflagration, where the flame front moves at sub-sonic speed through the cloud. So, while setting the VCM afire is not a good solution, the alternative may have been much worse.
Thank you very much for this explanation.
Thanks for weighing in. There were also a couple of commenters late in the thread on Ace who also warned of the potential for massive explosions. My reply to that is:
“My concern is, given who is running this government and the level of competency now that DEI rules the day in hiring practices, as well as the railroad itself, how can we be sure that the situation was as they claimed it to be?
Recall that there was an actual reporter on site close enough to witness what was going on and he was arrested. For his own protection because he was a pain in the ass? Could be. Because he would have seen things that painted the responders and government in a less than favorable light? Ditto.
Either way, thanks to COVID and the election thievery and the blatant persecution of the DOJ/FBI/CIA, we can no longer trust people and institutions that we often rely on in life and death situations like this one.
All around a shitty position to be in.”
Perhaps venting and torching the chemicals was indeed a Sophie’s Choice. But I’m so distrustful of government that my natural inclination was to call bullshit from the get go. Ugh.